In order for your body to recover after a busy day, you need to get a good night’s sleep. Unfortunately, there are lots of people who do not get the recommended amount of sleep at night. Some people have trouble falling asleep. Other people might have trouble staying asleep once they fall asleep. Regardless, many sleep issues stem from insomnia. Even though you may think that you need to take prescription medications to make it easier for you to fall asleep at night, this is not always the case. A chiropractor can help you address your sleep issues. Continue reading to learn how a chiropractor can help you sleep soundly.
Why Does Insomnia Happen?
The first way a chiropractor can help you address insomnia is by getting to the root cause of your sleep issues. Ultimately, it is always better if we can eradicate the root cause of insomnia so that your body can sleep naturally. This is much better than simply covering up the issue on the surface.
There are several reasons why you might develop insomnia. Some of the most common issues include:
- You are suffering from chronic pain, making it impossible to relax
- Your sleep environment needs to be improved
- You have a lot of tension in your muscles, making it hard to fall asleep at night
After identifying the root cause of insomnia, it is possible to develop a firm treatment plan.
How Can a Chiropractor Address These Issues?
There are several ways that a chiropractor can help with all of these problems. Some of the ways include:
- Help Alleviate Stress: A chiropractor can help you alleviate stress. Stress is bad for your body and it can make it hard to fall asleep at night. For example, chiropractors can help patients learn how to perform exercises that can help them alleviate their anxieties and relax their minds.
- Treat Chronic Pain: If you are dealing with chronic pain, this goes down from old injuries, overuse injuries, and nerve issues. A chiropractor is able to help you address all of these problems. Using chiropractic adjustments, it might be possible to treat your pain naturally. That way, you have an easier time falling asleep.
- Recommend Lifestyle Changes: Finally, a chiropractor can also take a look at your sleep environment and recommend lifestyle changes that might make it easier for you to fall asleep. For example, the temperature in your room might need to be adjusted. Or, based on the alignment of your back, the chiropractor might be able to recommend a different mattress for you.
These are just a few of the ways that a chiropractor can help you address some of the root causes of insomnia. Therefore, if you are having trouble falling asleep at night, what should you do?
Suffering from Insomnia: The Next Steps
If you are having a hard time falling asleep at night, there are a few quick changes that you should make. These include:
- Try to avoid looking at screens an hour before bed, as the blue light from screens can make it hard to fall asleep
- Do not drink caffeine in the afternoon, evening, or before bed
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed, as the adrenaline can keep you awake
Finally, reach out to your local chiropractor for more information. Your chiropractor can recommend stretches, exercises, reset the nervous system through spinal adjustments as well as other lifestyle changes that are able to help you deal with pain and stress. That way, you will be able to not only fall asleep at night but stay asleep as well. When you get a full night’s sleep, you will wake up the next day feeling rested and restored. If you or a loved one are suffering from insomnia, give us a call. We’re here to help!
This article is copyrighted by Blogging Chiropractors for its Doctor of Chiropractic members and may not be copied or duplicated in any manner including printed or electronic media, regardless of whether for a fee or gratis without the prior written permission of Blogging Chiropractors.